- This event has passed.
Firearms for Bear Defense – FULL
May 25 @ 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm$150.00
This course is FULL. Please check back for future dates! Want to book your own class? We offer this curriculum for private groups or companies who wish to put 8 or more through certification. Contact us for details and booking.
Round out your bear awareness, confidence, and adventure readiness with this interactive, hands-on course, Firearms For Bear Defense.
Bear Aware (Part 1) is encouraged but not required.
This course covers:
– Range safety and course outline
– State law and regulations regarding pepper and lead for defense
– Basic Ballistics – what makes a gun a “bear gun”
– Rifles and bear defense
– Overview of three common “bear guns” Shotgun, Revolver, Pistol
– Live fire demo
– Building a shooter’s platform that’s both effective and supportive to bear defense
– Holsters – overview, do and don’t
– Breakout session – shoot up to 6 common bear guns with both practice ammo and bear loads if desired
– Bear defense qualification course with the gun of your choice (three reps allowed per shooter)
Total Course Length: 4 hours
Some of these items are available to rent/borrow; see below.
– Personal firearms are encouraged but not required
– If you’re bringing a gun of your own, don’t forget the sling, magazines, speed loaders, holsters, ammo, and any other associated accessories!
– Shoot up to 6 common “Bear Guns” in different calibers and configurations or train on a gun from your context
– If you are not already a Birchwood Shooting Park member, a $25 range fee will be charged
– Firearms for live fire training – shotgun, pistol and revolver
– Interactive bear targets,
– Eye and ear protection,
– Course materials and ballistics handout
– Course certification
Not Included: Ammo – billed per rounds shot, price list available on request
Firearms available to shoot:
Remington / Mossberg / FN 12ga shotguns with slugs and buck shot, Springfield XDM in 10mm, Ruger and Smith & Wesson Revolvers in .38special, .357mag, .44 special / mag, .45 long colt, and .454 casull.
Available: (may incur an additional cost):
- Holsters, magazine pouches & gun belts are available to borrow.
- Ammo – prices vary, most often charged by the rounds fired. Email for price info.
- Firearms – Handgun / shotgun (No Charge!) See available guns listed above
- Rental Package Includes: Firearm, magazines / speed loaders, belt, holster, magazine pouch, and sling where applicable.
Email us at email@example.com to order or reserve equipment.