Intro To Long Range – OPEN
October 8 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm$250.00
This course facilitates the establishment of the fundamentals most necessary to long-range shooting. As an intro, we overview the major “pillars” that provide you the most success in your long-range goals. This one-day course is for the competitor, the hunter, the hobbyist, or the curious looking to up their game or quench a curiosity about performance at distance. This is a great prep course for those looking to get into PRS! More info on Alaska PRS can be found HERE!
Topics covered include safety absolutes, platform imperatives, firing process, basic ballistics, atmospheric conditions, calculating and proving DOPE, understanding repeatable precision and accuracy, wind call and corrections, and more. Shooters will work in spotter / shooter teams and will cover an incredible amount of ground in a short amount of time.
Note that this is not a shooting fundamentals course – students must possess an existing competency in at least 2-300 yard precision and accuracy from the prone or benchrest position.
Preferred is for the student of this course to have completed either our Intermediate Bolt Rifle 201, or MidRange Practical, but previous with us is not required. Call with questions or to discuss if this course is a good fit for you!
Total Course Length: 8 hours
Some of these items are available to rent/borrow; see below.
- Centerfire rifle minimum caliber 6mm / .243 – must be sighted in for 100 yards no exceptions
- Scope / Optic – variable power recommended, minimum power recommended for optic top range is 10s, example, 2-10x, better would be 5-25x or greater, call with questions about optics. Optic can be MIL or MOA but must have a reticle with subtensions AND the optic must be equipped with an external turret that can be adjusted incrementally for elevation. Calibrated windage adjustment or subtensions are beneficial, but not required for this course.
- Shooter must know the muzzle velocity of the ammunition used for this class (chronograph / lab radar available to borrow prior to class – email for details)
- Ballistic Calculator – Kestrel or phone app such as Strelok Pro, TRASOL, Hornady 4DOF, or ect call with questions
- 120 rounds of ammo
- Bipod or sandbag for front rifle rest