- This event has passed.
Mid-range Practical Rifle Pt2 – FULL
June 28, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm$295.00
This two-day course seeks to equip you with practical bolt action rifle skills preparing you to place consistent, precise shot groups at distances ranging from 100-600 yards. We utilize time proven technique and field proven wisdom to ensure accurate performance at various yardages in a variety of compromised positions preparing the hunter, the target shooter, or the competitor for confident hits.
Day One: held on Birchwood Shooting Park’s A Range covering safety foundations, bolt rifle fundamentals, platform technique, optic optimization, sight In and velocity check, basic internal / external ballistics, calibrating accuracy at 100-300 yards, target acquisition pressure training, positional shooting and dry fire homework. From sight in, to the steel challenge finishing up our first session together, this course will challenge and encourage existing bolt rifle skills.
Day Two: held in Talkeetna at the Upper Susitna Shooter’s Association 1000 yard Range, will prepare you for practical accuracy out to 600 yards, As time and ability allow, we may extend to 1000 yards. Proving DOPE, Reading wind, dialing yardage, estimating hold over, and sending consistent hits continues our training as accuracy improving drills at mixed ranges stretch existing skill. Positional shooting, unknown yardage challenges, and reload drills add the fun back as we challenge each other to consistent mid range precision.
Advanced electronic video tools help us view our hits in real time and redeem the time normally spent in target checking.
Doppler Radar allows us to build more accurate DOPE.
Practical accuracy is described in 1.5MOA groups ranging from 100 yards-600 yards. This is not a precision long range course.
Accurate Advantage does not restrict the quality of the equipment students are invited to bring to class.
– Centerfire rifle minimum caliber 6mm / .243 – must be sighted in for 100 yards no exceptions
– Scope / Optic – minimum power must be 3x or greater
– Optic must have a reticle with hold over lines or equivalent, or the optic must be equipped with a turret that can be adjusted incrementally for elevation. Calibrated windage adjustment not required for this course.
– Shooter must know the muzzle velocity and estimated bullet drop to 600 yards of the ammunition brought for this class (lab radar test sessions will be available prior to class – email for details)
– 200 rounds of ammo required (total for both sessions)
– Snap cap or dummy round for your rifle caliber
– Bipod or sandbag for front rifle rest
– Shooting mat ( most mid range shooting will be done from the prone position) – limited availability to borrow if needed
– Binos or spotting scope – available to borrow if needed