Learn How To Safely Enjoy the Alaskan Wilderness!
From the safety of your own home, join us for this life-saving course now in a digital format!
At registration, you will be emailed a training packet, a platform link and password to join a private live session on your computer, phone, or tablet. Type us questions throughout the course and interact with a live instructor for a realistic classroom feel.
This course walks you through:
– Intro to Alaska’s unique wild aspects – Life and recreation in bear country
– Bear biology – identification, habits, and instinct
– Video presentation – bear behavior and situational response
– Situational awareness, preemptive planning
– Do’s and Don’t in bear country
– Pepper Spray – answering the question, “is it enough for bear defense”
– Watch as we demo inert pepper spray – a comprehensive visual “how to”
– Brief overview of firearms for bear defense
– Overview of state law and regulations regarding pepper and lead for defense
– Questions and Answers
If you work or play in the back country, then having a plan for how to safely share with it’s original residents is VITAL!
Course instructors have many years of experience in the Alaskan wilderness and have encountered hundreds of bears. Our experiences span everything from safe recognition and avoidance, to surviving negative bear encounters, and we have also unfortunately had to shoot bears in defense of life. We use these years of experience and scientific research to instruct a methodical approach to staying safe in bear country. Join us!
Total Course Length: 3 hoursRequired Equipment/Gear:
Some of these items are available to rent/borrow; see below.
- A quiet place where you can spend 3 life-changing hours
- A learner’s attitude
- Pen and paper to record notes and questions
- Link and password to join a digital Bear Aware course
- Field identification guide
- Presentation outline for your reference
- Resource List – links and tools mentioned throughout the course will be detailed in this list
Your Next Steps: Check the calendar for upcoming courses and then register and pay for your course. Courses are filled on a first-paid, first-serve basis.
Course Calendar » Register Now »
Questions? Contact Us Now