This course seeks to equip you with practical bolt action rifle skills preparing you to place consistent, accurate shot groups at distances ranging from 100-600 yards. We utilize time proven technique and field proven wisdom to assure accurate performance at various yardages in a variety of compromised positions preparing the hunter, the target shooter, or the competitor for repetitive accuracy.
This course includes two shooting sessions: the first session will be held at Birchwood Shooting Park in Eagle River covering safety foundations, optic basics, platform technique, Optical Zero, sight In and velocity check, basic internal / external ballistics, bolt fundamentals, calibrating “hunting accuracy” for your rifle at 100-300 yards, fast acquisition pressure training, positional shooting and dry fire homework. From sight in, to the steel challenge finishing up our first evening together, this course will challenge and encourage existing bolt rifle skills.
The second session, held in Talkeetna at the Upper Susitna Shooter’s Association Range, will prepare you for practical accuracy out to 600 yards. Reading wind, dialing yardage, estimating hold over, and sending consistent hits continues our training as accuracy improving drills at mixed ranges stretch existing skill. Positional shooting, reload drills, unknown yardage and heart rate challenges add the fun back in as we challenge each other to consistent mid range accuracy.
Advanced electronic video tools help us view our hits in real time and redeem the time normally spent in target checking.
Practical accuracy is described in 1 MOA groups ranging from 100 yards-600 yards.
Total Course Length: 12 hoursPrerequisite Course(s):
- Basic Bolt Rifle
Some of these items are available to rent/borrow; see below.
– Centerfire rifle minimum caliber 6mm / .243 – must be sighted in for 100 yards
– Scope / Optic – minimum power must be 3x or greater
– Optic must have a reticle with hold over lines or equivalent, or the optic must be equipped with a turret that can be adjusted incrementally for elevation. Calibrated windage adjustment or hold lines beneficial, but not required for this course. MIL or MOA accepted
– Shooter must know the muzzle velocity of the ammunition used for this class (chronograph / lab radar available to borrow prior to class – email for details)
– 200 rounds of ammo required (total for both sessions)
– Bipod or sandbag for front rifle rest
– Snap cap for your rifle caliber
– Shooting mat (most shooting will be done from the prone position)
– Binos or spotting scope – available to borrow if needed
–Targets / backers, steel targets
– Pre calculated DOPE card / Wind drift chart
– MOA / MIL increment computers
– Shooting mat – limited quantities available to borrow
– Binos or spotting scope – limited quantities available to borrow
Available: (may incur an additional cost):
– Rental firearms – Bolt Rifle -$50.00+ ammo
Rental Package Includes: firearm, scoped optic, magazines, bipod, shooting mat, and ammo: charged in addition to rental fee per rounds fired.
Email us at email@example.com to order or reserve equipment.
Course Cost: $285.00
Your Next Steps: Check the calendar for upcoming courses and then register and pay for your course. Courses are filled on a first-paid, first-serve basis.
Course Calendar » Register Now »
Questions? Contact Us Now